Sunday 4 November 2012

Evaluation Of Research So Far

What have I learnt?
As I am new to media everything I have been taught has been a great help to me for example understanding how different types of sound and music can be added to a piece of media; non diegetic sound can be added through editing and diegetic sound which is a sound within the scene. Not only this I have learnt the different codes and conventions to create the great thriller genre these are some of things I found;
  • Mirrors are used to portray the reflection of one's soul and inner self it could also foreshadow the darkness within certain characters.
  • Shadows add darkness within inner beings and can create tension and eeriness, this connotes the idea of unknown circumstances and unknown answers.
  • Obtrusive editing are used frequently in thrillers to create the feeling of suspense and tension, they are often used in a particular 'thrilling scene' sometimes creating a disorientation of space and time.
  • Flashbacks often display what has happened in the past to give the audience and insight into the protagonists lives.
  • Black and white is often used to accentuate the use of shadows and often makes the thriller eerie and dark.
  • Twist is a common factor of a thriller by adding the element of surprise the audience can recognise the film as thriller this connotes fear playing on uncommon fears for example 'being afraid of the unknown'
Through my research I have learnt how important title sequences are for a film and how to analyse them properly to help when creating our own thriller opening, I have been analysing the opening of films by putting them into groups such as, camera angles, sound, mise en scene and editing and these are all things I have learnt throughout my time in media so far.Furthermore to this blogging is all new to me too as it is to many of the others in our class, so I have found it hard to blog everything I have learnt but I am slowly getting used to it and the way it all works. Being in a group with Finley, Melissa and Jacob I have learnt to take responsibilities and time keeping skills as each section of coursework has a deadline of when it needs to be done, this is something I really need to work on as I may fall behind if I don't keep up with the different aspects of coursework. Not only do I need to work on evaluating my own work but my groups too.

How Have I Learnt This?
Like I said being new to this course and not having the basics as some people have by taking it for GCSE I have had to really concentrate in class when my teachers are talking and writing down notes to help with my understanding of everything, Mr Miche has been showing us how to prepare for the exams by watching extracts such as Doctor Who and Primevil and showing us how to analyse them step by step and then asking us to write essays to help us practise for the exams. They have also told us to look at other years blog to help us with the way to structure and what to include in them. Not only this but by doing research of my own I have developed an understanding and put it in to way for me to understand better. By creating a glossary I have the key words in one place to help me when analysing openings of films and my peers work too.

My Strengths
I believe I am quite organised with my work, which helps when writing up my notes to my blog and finding them to help me with my analyse of films and my peers work. I believe this is good quality to have within my group as it is good to be organised and know who's doing what. However each member of the group has different qualities so by putting them all together I am sure we can achieve something good in the end.

My Weaknesses
I think I have many weaknesses at the moment but I am slowly getting to grips with them, one of them would be the ability to evaluate my groups research as I'm struggling with what to include within it however I do believe that I am getting better. Furthermore in my blog I need to include other ways of blogging such as video and sound clips, at the moment I have done a lot of writing and pictures, I just need to expand on that.

Targets
To help my improve my weaknesses I have created some targets in order to help keep on improving;

  • To continue to add to my glossary to help with my understanding of the technical side of the course.
  • To do some video and sound clips to make my blog more varied
  • Work with my group more to create a great thriller opening at the end of the course.
Overall Progress
I have progressed so much since the start of media from knowing nothing to knowing most things about Mise en scene, camera angles, sound and editing ofcourse there is always room from improvement and I will insure that I do my very best to keep concentrating in class and keeping up to date with my blog. Not only have I learnt the lesson side of the course but the coursework side to with Mr Ford for example being able to work well within my group and understand their needs as well as mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment